Sunday, February 28, 2010

suicide awareness

This post is not really about posting my love to someone, but it is about loving someone, and how many people actually love you, even if you don't know it.

A few years ago, my mom's cousin's wife committed suicide by jumping off Taughanock Falls in New York, right down the road from their home and where my grandparents live. The falls was always a special place to my family and now it's hard to go there without thinking, "How did Lisa jump that?" or "Why would she do that" or just even thinking about her. Since then, I have always been part of suicide awareness groups on facebook and other websites.

Today, I just heard about how two young girls (sophomores Gina, 16 and Vanessa, 15 (Vanessa's 16th birthday is Wednesday the 3rd of March)) in Prospect Park, PA who committed suicide because Gina's boyfriend, Billy, died by getting hit by a car on his bike the month before. I'm from the area, and I know the area where the girls are from and the school, Interboro High School, where they went to. (My cousin actually just graduated from the school.) The two girls made a 'suicide pact' with some other friends, but when they decided to do it, only 3 went. The three girls went to the train tracks right near their school (where they were supposed to be) and stepped out onto the tracks, while the third chickened out and yelled out to them to not go through with it. The third girl watched as the two girls hugged and were hit by the train.

After hearing this story, I am even more involved with these suicide awareness groups. I want to do everything I can to help. I just want to say that no matter how bad your life may seem at the time, it's never bad enough to take your life. There are people who care about you, more than you would believe, and you have no idea how many people it will impact. There are people who love you and will be so hurt and feel destroyed by you taking your life. So if you are going to do it, think twice.. Talk to someone, just don't do it..

"Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem."

No comments:

Post a Comment